Dr. Dre and Ice Cube have been cleared in the wrongful death lawsuit filed against them and Marion “Suge” Knight following the death of a man named Terry Carter.
The court ruled that Dre and Cube couldn’t be held responsible for Suge’s actions, as per TMZ . Knight is accused of running over and killing Carter in a pickup truck at Tam’s Burgers.
Dre, Cube, and Suge were originally named as defendants in the lawsuit, which was filed by Carter’s widow, Lilian Carter. She believed Dre and Cube hired gang members to work as security on their Straight Outta Compton set in order to deter Knight from interrupting production.
Knight is accused of running over Carter after being asked to leave the set by security. Meanwhile, the Death Row mogul claims he was scared for his life and was fleeing the scene after an altercation.
The original complaint read: “This lawsuit concerns the tragic tale of how reckless corporate greed, disguised as the quest for authenticity, [led] to a foreseeable altercation that resulted in the death of a successful businessman.”
While Cube and Dre have been cleared, Knight remains involved.
He’s also awaiting a murder trial for the same fatal hit-and-run. Dr. Dre might be in the clear with that lawsuit, but he could be back in the courtroom soon.
He’s reportedly threatening to sue Sony Pictures if they air “Surviving Compton: Dre, Suge & Michel’le.” The film is said to depict Dre as abusive towards his ex-girlfriend, Michel’le. It reportedly includes scenes where the famed producer-turned-mogul punches the singer in the face and pulls a gun on her, according to TMZ .
In August of last year, Michel’le was asked why she felt she wasn’t included in Straight Outta Compton , the N.W.A biopic, despite her extensive work with the label.
“Why would [Dr.] Dre put me in it?” she asked, during an interview with VladTV . “If they start from where they start from, I was just a quiet girlfriend who got beat up and told to sit down and shut up.”
Dre’s legal team has given Sony a cease and desist letter,denying the alleged abuse and adding that he will sue if it airs. The movie is scheduled to hit Lifetime on Saturday (Oct. 15).